23 Vintage Ads That Would Be Banned Today
Even though you might deny it, it won’t change the fact that you live in a world created by marketers. Advertising is a powerful force that had shaped our attitudes and behavior since the early 19th-century when it got into newspapers, and the early 1940s when it got into television.
With great power comes great responsibility, but try telling that to someone working in the advertising field in the early 20th century. Even today, advertising doesn’t try very hard to conform to moral standards, but after looking back at some offensive, racist, sexist and over-the-top funny ads – today’s commercials are as good as gold.
Besides being sexist ads, they were also full of lies promoting unhealthy habits. Interesting fact – the first vintage ad to use a sexual sell was created by a woman for soap as early as 1911. The campaign was so successful, that the slogan “A Skin You Love To Touch” was used until the 1940s. Whether we like it or not, it is a piece of history worth seeing for everyone. Enjoy these offensive vintage ads and banned commercials and do take them lightheartedly.
1. The Harder A Wife Works, The Cuter She Looks!
2. Men Ask “Is She Pretty?” Not “Is She Clever?”
3. Doesn’t Your Mama Wash You With Fairy Soap?
4. Use “Chlorinol”
5. Cocaine Toothache Drops
6. Keep Her Where She Belongs…
7. Cochon Prodigue
8. Show Her It’s A Man’s World
9. That’s What Wives Are For!
10. Youngest Customers In The Business
11. Don’t Worry Darling; You Didn’t Burn The Beer!
12. Men Are Better Than Women!
13. If Your Husband Ever Finds Out..
14. More Doctors Smoke Camels
15. More Doctors Smoke Camels #2
16. Blow In Her Face
17. Begin Early. Shave Yourself
18. It’s Nice To Have A Girl Around The House
19. Because Innocence Is Sexier Than You Think
20. Smoking Santa
21. Merry Christmas For Every Smoker!
22. Is It Always Illegal To Kill A Woman?
23. SEGA: The More You Play The Harder It Gets
1.7MviewsShare on Facebook