13 Popular Movie Poster Cliches
“Everything is a remix,” says the title of the famous short documentaries by Kirby Ferguson, discussing how newly created work – from famous movies to popular music – is strongly influenced by existing work. You don’t have to look far to see it – just look at the movie posters.
French blogger Christophe Courtois put together several telling montages of famous movie posters which perfectly illustrate how everyone copies everyone using the same cliches. Is it bad?
Ferguson writes that “our system of law doesn’t acknowledge the derivative nature of creativity. Instead, ideas are regarded as property, as unique and original lots with distinct boundaries. But the ideas aren’t so tidy. They’re layered, they’re interwoven, they’re tangled. And when the system conflicts with the reality… the system starts to fail.”
Scroll down to see the cliches side by side for yourself. The more you look at it, the more they turn into funny posters.
1. A Loner Viewed From Behind
Usually, in this movie poster template, accompanied only by their weapon of choice.
2. Big Heads over Tiny People on a Beach
3. Back To Back, Viewed From the Side
4. The Between-the-Legs Shot
5. In Bed
6. Big Eye
8. Black & White Action Movie Posters
9. Running In the Street, At a Tilt And Tinted Blue
10. Building a Face Out of Other Objects
11. Lady In Red
12. Justice Is Blind
13. Big Block Font Right Over the Face
146KviewsShare on Facebook