18 Times Innocent-Looking Things Almost Caused Disastrous Fires
Even the most innocent-looking things can cause accidental fires. Think of the makeup mirror on your windowsill, or a chip bowl-turned parabolic mirror, or a snowball decoration.
And sometimes, it’s not even the mirrors. A 38-story skyscraper on London’s Fenchurch Street has been melting cars and setting buildings on fire due to its curvilinear shape which focuses the sun's rays onto a small area.
But most importantly, most accidental fires can be anticipated and prevented before it’s too late. So Bored Panda has compiled a list of dangerous examples of how little it takes for a fire to escalate into engulfing flames in hopes you’ll look around your house and make sure there’s no hidden source of accidental fire.
Crystal Ball Can Burn Your House
The Glass Globe Of This Light Focused The Sunlight Enough To Burn The Suns Path In The Grass
It’s incredible how often accidental fires happen in our homes. According to statistics from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), there are more than 350,000 home fires each year in the US, leading to more than 2,500 deaths. The same report concluded that most home fires and fire casualties result from these five sources: cooking, heating, electrical distribution and lighting equipment, intentional fire setting, and smoking materials.
Home fires can either be caused by heat igniting combustible materials, or chemical reactions. And even though you probably aren’t aware of it, your house is full of items, materials, and surfaces that can cause fire given the right conditions. In order to prevent fire accidents, you’ll have to look around your home.
This London Skyscraper Can Melt Cars And Set Buildings On Fire
Skyscraper is known locally as "the Walkie-Talkie" for its unusual shape. But that curvilinear shape is exactly what's causing the problem: The south-facing exterior wall is covered in reflective glass, and because it's concave, it focuses the sun's rays onto a small area, not unlike the way a magnifying glass directs sunbeams onto a superhot pinpoint of light.
The Sun Shining Through A Crystal Ball And Burned A Hole Through My Copy Of Goblet Of Fire
First step is the kitchen. According to the National Fire Protection Association, cooking fires are among the most common types of house fires, making up about 49 percent of all residential fires.
These are often caused by overheated grease left on a stove or in an oven. What makes it particularly dangerous is its high flammability when it reaches about 600 degrees Fahrenheit. At that point, it can combust instantaneously.
For this reason, make sure to never leave your kitchen unattended when cooking in oil, whether it's a stove, an oven, or if you’re deep frying. Barbecue grills and toasters can also cause fire hazards.
After Washing The Car, Rims Created A Magnifying Effect On The Grass Which Started A Lawn Fire
Sunlight On Make-Up Mirror Causes Freak Nottinghamshire House Fire
The Chip Bowl Acted As A Parabolic Mirror And Set A Chip On Fire
This Football Shaped Bottle By A Mineral Water Company Ahead Of Football Worldcup Russia 2018 That Turns Into Spherical Magnifying Glass And Gets On Fire When In Sun For More Than A Minute
My Sister Was Putting On Her Make Up In Front Of A Window And The Mirror She Was Using Burnt A Hole In Her Screen
Second, you may wanna check your living room or the bedroom where heating appliances are placed. This is especially important during winter time when many of us use home space heaters and baseboard heaters to warm up our freezing homes.
But heaters that require kerosene or another fuel are especially dangerous as they can ignite spontaneously or even blow up. Electrical heaters also often become the sources for accidental fire, especially if the electrical wiring is faulty. They also often overheat fabrics if they come in contact or if they’re put close enough.
Make sure to never leave the house with a heater on, whatever type of appliance it is. Unsupervised heaters become huge fire hazards if left running while homeowners are away.
House Fire Started By Sun Reflecting Off Bedroom Mirror
Boy Accidentally Sets Lawn On Fire With Magnifying Glass He Got As Christmas Present
Christmas Day was memorable to say the least! My twelve year old son Cayden, who is an avid reader, an honor student, and interested in science, asked for a magnifying glass for Christmas. (It’s like a basketball player asking for basketball shoes.) We thought it was for reading, but instead he tried to see if he could light a fire with it! We discovered that he and his two brothers went out on the driveway to see if they could burn a couple holes in some newspaper. Everything was under control until the boys came running into the house telling us that a corner of the lawn was on fire and the Christmas lights were melting! Justin and I rushed outside to see the entire front lawn turning black! We grabbed buckets, turned on the hose and sprinklers, and I grabbed blankets to smother and trap it - before it could spread any more into the neighbors yard! What a sight to see - a bunch of people running around crazy trying to put a front lawn fire out while wearing matching Christmas jammies!
I want to reiterate this was an accident. It could have been worse but it wasn’t. So instead of a tragedy it will now be a Christmas to remember! 2019- The Christmas the lawn lit on fire.
Oh and never buy a magnifying glass for your son!
My Crystal Ball Paper Weight Burnt A Hole In My Homework
Martha Stewart Posts Terrifying Photos After Her Makeup Mirror Almost "Ignited" Her Bathroom
BEWARE!!!!! While I was in Tasmania my master bathroom had a serious problem A magnifying makeup mirror , sitting on the back of the toilet , happened to catch the rays if the afternoon sun , reflecting them directly onto the painted window sill . The light was so intense that the paint scorched and smoked And almost ignited ! My housekeeper smelled the burning paint and stopped the problem Please take care not to let such a queer thing happen in your home!!!!!